Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Trying to cope...

I had thought moving into a new place will give me more peace. But I guess I was not ready for the series of changes, new adjustments, unexpected illnesses and increase in household expenses.

I finally realised why we should salute housewives. I think they 'work' as hard as any one of us out there in the office as they do at home. Not only there are tonnes of repeated housework to be done daily, there are also lots of hair-dropping issues to think about = Where to get the cheaper groceries, What to cook tonight and How to save electricity and gas?

We never had to worry about all these before we settled into our new nest. It was as easy as giving a lumpsum alowance to my MIL and leaving the rest of the calculations to her. But now, we have to do the calculations ourselves. And the amount is getting bigger everyday :(

I guess soon, and I really mean very soon, I need to start making the choices, what I have to save on and what I cannot...

But of coz we are much more fortunate than many so we really should not complain. We have a good helper who cooks well and loves Jamie ALOT. So we can continue to have our couplehood and social life. Though there aren't many amenities around, but we have at least a sheng siong and a 24hr coffee shop that serves good food, a bakery, a hair salon, a DIY shop and a clinic. NTUC and Popular is also reachable by LRT now. But of coz I will appreciate the Punggol Central and Bigger shopping malls are setup faster than planned. As we get more crowded in Punggol, I forsee the patience of the Punggolians will drop further...

But many will tell me, that's the 'speciality' about living in Punggol. It's a quiet and youthful estate, unlike the cluttered mature estates... But of coz after living in a kampong style Yishun that has Chong Pang Market just 5min walk away for 20+ yrs + another 2+ yrs in the all accessible Bishan, I really need more time to get used to living in a non-happening and ulu Punggol lolz...

However, I am grateful I have great neighbours and the neighbourhood is brightly lit. I will appreciate there are less irresponsible investors who rent their new homes to foreigners though... Please think about the safety of others too, especially those with young children...

Other than us trying to adjust ourselves, I can see Jamie's frustration and stress too. So much so she fell badly ill. Her fever had been going up and down like roller coaster, however she looked perfectly sober and active. I can only think that she is fighting her own anxiety in her own ways... It's really not easy for a little child like her having to go through the change of a new home and a strange place called school...

Having to cope with insecurity and fear of being left behind is really not easy. I feel really guilty to put her through all these. But my hubby thought this can make Jamie stronger if she can adapt to it faster than expected. However, she is just a young child.. I really hope I am not doing the wrong thing...

I guess other than ourselves and Jamie, my poor helper had a hard time coping in the new home too. The chores are never the same now in the new home because the materials the house is made of and the design is different from my MIL. My MIL doesnt have a built-in stove or hood. She doesnt have kitchen cabinet or vanity. So it's all new to both me and my helper. We are thankful that our design Sean is willing to go through the hassle to teach me how to maintain all these materials in the house. Thanks Sean!!!

He is really a trustworthy and reliable ID who is more than an ID to us now! He is now our friend too!!! And I always to joke about how my hubby will be nagged by Sean for 'destroying' his design concepts of the TV consoles by messying it up with cable wires :P

I guess I feel better already talking about all these stress... Though it takes time to adapt and adjust, I believe we can do it de :D And we can do it well.. building and maintaining and protecting our very own nest...

No comments:

Post a Comment